While we were all getting ready for Andersen's birthday party last Saturday, Jackson had an unfortunate event happen as he got too close to my curling iron. In everyone's defense especially Jackson's, his back was to the counter and he put his arm up to rest it on the counter and instead of the counter he got my curling iron. It was an instant scream from Jackson and seconds later it was a big blister. He was in pain for a little bit but as soon as his cousins got to our house for the party, you would have never known he had gotten burned 2 hours previously. It definitely was sensitive for Jackson but he didn't really start to complain until Sunday evening. As parents you are always torn on what the best thing is to do for your child so Sunday night the conversation of visiting a doctor was mentioned but still no decision was made. It wasn't until Monday morning that it looked like this and Nate and I instantly knew it was time to take a trip to visit Dr. Boud. (Plus Jackson and Andersen looked like they both had pink eye!)
Look at his brave smile as we were waiting for the Doc! Jackson knows Dr. Boud always makes him feel better so he wasn't scared at all. If you didn't know any better you'd think he was a character right out of the vampire shows with his blood shot eyes and fleshy wrist.
After the Dr evaluation, we were told he had 2nd degree burn and that he needed to keep an antibiotic topical cream and a wrap on his arm for 2 or so weeks along with taking an oral antibiotic to help with the spread of infection. Poor kid left the office with 3 prescriptions for antibiotics (2 for his arm, and one for his eyes) Thank goodness we took him in! We were told to change the wrap every day after bath time and other than that to eat, sleep and play with this thing on.
Jackson has been such a trooper with the whole process and doesn't even bother the wrap. It did take us a couple days of him getting used to us changing the wrap and dealing with tears, but now its just part of the routine. And the routine has paid off! He had a follow up appointment on Friday and the Doc said it is looking so good but to continue the wrap for another week or so. What a difference a week of good medications can do for his skin! One more week should help even more and then we have months of vitamin E to help with scarring. I guess they don't call them HOT STICKS for nothin'!
7 comments:
ouch! glad he's ok, that is super scary, burns are so hard on kids :( and I can't believe Anderson is 1, wow he grew up fast!!
Poor little guy. Glad it's getting better. Glad Andersen's party and Birthday went well. I want some of that cake, it looks fabulous. Bummy about Jackson's spots. that's so weird you have had some random stuff. I hope you guys are all feeling better now. It was so good to see you Saturday, I hope to see you again soon. We need to live closer.
I saw his little bandage when he was here the other night. What a little trooper!
Oh my gosh! What a brave little guy! I love that through it all he still had a smile on his face:)
Oh my gosh!!! That's crazy! Poor little guy! He is such a good sport. I hope he's feeling better! And happy birthday to Andersen!
I am glad you took him in! That burn looks NASTY! He is such a little trooper! Leave it to Jackson to do no complaining!
OMG poor kid. He looks so cute with his great big smile. I can't believe how good it looks already!
Post a Comment