Friday, March 8, 2013

Maelyn's Ears Pierced... TWICE

When I was younger my parents pierced my ears when I was only 3 months old. It was a spontaneous decision they made one day walking through the mall. I have always been so glad they pierced my ears when I was young so I knew if I ever had a girl I would do the same. So this was a day I have dreamed about long before I even knew I was having a baby girl and long before I was even pregnant for that matter! With Maelyn being old enough right around Christmas time I decided to have my parents get her ears pierced for her Christmas present carry on the tradition. I spent weeks before this day searching every store I could find for the perfect pair of piercing earrings while my dad searched everywhere around him and even online. I eventually decided we would take her to the piercing pagoda in South Town Mall. It was a snowy Christmas Eve and we met at the mall so we all could be apart of it. I was one big emotional mess!! I would cry just talking about it so there was no way I could hold back the tears during the actual piercing. It was the regular process of cleaning and dotting her ears to make sure they pierce in the right place. The whole time Maelyn was smiling like crazy. The lady couldn't believe she was so happy. She said most babies are crying even during this part. Then piercing time came... thank goodness Nate met us there too so he could be the one to hold her. It felt like it took forever, but it was just a matter of seconds and a few tears and whimpers from Maelyn and she was back to her happy little self... WITH EARRINGS! Oh she looked beautiful.

It was only a matter of a couple days of cleaning her ears and earrings that I accepted the fact that her left ear was pierced wrong. Rather than the earring going through the lobe, it was going through the hard cartilage in the back. I called the store to ask their opinion and even took her in so they could see it as well and they agreed I should take out her earring and let the hole grow back in. A week of her wearing only one earring,  her ear lobe was ready for round two but they were sold out of the earring I needed! We had to wait an extra week for her earring. I finally got a phone call one Thursday afternoon that it had came in. We had a busy weekend coming up that I decided to take her that night while Nate stayed home with the boys so we could just get it taken care of. Luckily my neighbor Alison was willing to be my emotional support because I was anticipating it to be the same as the first time... thank goodness it wasn't and I knew what to expect. The hardest part was making sure we got it right this time. We cleaned, dotted the lobe and then it was pierced... again! She cried for a bit again and then was back to normal and we officially had two pierced ears. I think I have starred and analyzed her earring holes way more than anyone should ever do and I can tell they are slightly off, but everyone I ask never sees what I am seeing until I tell them. Weeks later I have accepted where her piercings are at and just hope they stay looking good as she grows up. I am loving her ears pierced and I am so happy we did it. Way to go Sis... You were so brave!

0 comments: