Clear back in December, just two months after giving birth to Andersen, I decided the only way I was going to lose my baby weight was to sign up for something and hold myself accountable for working out. I decided with the suggestion of my boss to do the Woman of Steel Triathlon. I can't say it helped lose the baby weight like I was hoping but this definitely was an experience I will never forget. My neighbor Nikki and my boss's wife Jennifer signed up as well. With our ridiculously cold weather that lasted all the way up until our race I had to do a lot of training inside. I started by just running on the tread mill at home. As time got closer, us three started Saturday work outs. This is when it all got real for me! I couldn't believe I was actually going to do this. The most I have ever done was a little 10K.... This was supposed to be 300 meter swim, 12.75 bike, and the 3 mile run. Saturday, May 22 was the big day. We all woke up early to go down to American Fork to pick up our registration packets, pick up our time chips, and get marked with our numbers on our arms, and age and "S" for sprint on our legs.
Next thing you know, our bikes and transition areas were all set up and we were waiting for it all to start. The night before, it rained and rained and rained and even snowed a little bit. It was FREEZING!! So to prevent hypothermia, they canceled the swim and added a mile run before the bike... So now the order we were racing in was run, bike, run. I was totally bummed because running is my least favorite part and swimming is my strongest, but its not like I could do anything to change it, so I got over it really quick. If only I would have known earlier I would have totally worn something else and maybe put on some mascara so WARNING the following pictures are scary!! Here we all are, smiles and all, right before the race was about to begin. The picture doesn't even come close to showing how cold we were and how nervous I was.
After a freezing mile run, an even colder 12. 75 bike ride with my fingers feeling like they were going to snap off because they were so cold, and another 3 miles of running, here Nikki and I are running to the finish line. Like I said before I have a love hate relationship with running and to be honest I was hurting that last mile of the run, so thank goodness Nikki caught up to me {Not that I was faster, but we started at different times because of the number of athletes participating} so we could finish the last mile together. She was so good to pace me and keep me going so we could reach the end together

What a good feeling it was to cross the finish line. All I could think about was how much I had grown to love Nikki and how grateful I was that she did it with me. As we were crossing the finish line all I could hear was the announcer saying our names. It was awesome and we even had a little moment as we finished with a big hug. We both even shed a couple tears together. What an accomplishment for me! {We even used this to pass off one of our personal progress projects} Here is the after of us 3 even though Jennifer had finished about 5 minutes before us.
And here is my personal cheering section! Thanks to everyone for all the support. My mother in law was always asking how training was going and encouraging me that I could do it and how great it was. Nate was always so willing to watch the boys as I would take every Saturday morning to train for hours at the gym, and the best little helper Jackson always getting my running shoes for me when he knew I was leaving for the gym. My overall time was 1 hour and 35 minutes and some seconds {I don't remember} Nikki was 40 seconds faster than me and Jennifer was the winner out of us three.

Next thing you know, our bikes and transition areas were all set up and we were waiting for it all to start. The night before, it rained and rained and rained and even snowed a little bit. It was FREEZING!! So to prevent hypothermia, they canceled the swim and added a mile run before the bike... So now the order we were racing in was run, bike, run. I was totally bummed because running is my least favorite part and swimming is my strongest, but its not like I could do anything to change it, so I got over it really quick. If only I would have known earlier I would have totally worn something else and maybe put on some mascara so WARNING the following pictures are scary!! Here we all are, smiles and all, right before the race was about to begin. The picture doesn't even come close to showing how cold we were and how nervous I was.
After a freezing mile run, an even colder 12. 75 bike ride with my fingers feeling like they were going to snap off because they were so cold, and another 3 miles of running, here Nikki and I are running to the finish line. Like I said before I have a love hate relationship with running and to be honest I was hurting that last mile of the run, so thank goodness Nikki caught up to me {Not that I was faster, but we started at different times because of the number of athletes participating} so we could finish the last mile together. She was so good to pace me and keep me going so we could reach the end together
What a good feeling it was to cross the finish line. All I could think about was how much I had grown to love Nikki and how grateful I was that she did it with me. As we were crossing the finish line all I could hear was the announcer saying our names. It was awesome and we even had a little moment as we finished with a big hug. We both even shed a couple tears together. What an accomplishment for me! {We even used this to pass off one of our personal progress projects} Here is the after of us 3 even though Jennifer had finished about 5 minutes before us.
And here is my personal cheering section! Thanks to everyone for all the support. My mother in law was always asking how training was going and encouraging me that I could do it and how great it was. Nate was always so willing to watch the boys as I would take every Saturday morning to train for hours at the gym, and the best little helper Jackson always getting my running shoes for me when he knew I was leaving for the gym. My overall time was 1 hour and 35 minutes and some seconds {I don't remember} Nikki was 40 seconds faster than me and Jennifer was the winner out of us three.
10 comments:
I am SO proud of you, Jamie! And totally jealous that you got to do a traithlon minus the swim. That would be my dream come true! I can't wait to hear what you sign up for next....
Oh my gosh! That is SO impressive! Wow! Way to go Jamie!!!
Jamie that is so awesome! I did a tri last year in St. George and they cancelled our swim too because of the wind! I had to run then bike then run too and I HATE running! You look great and now you are addicted like me!!!
Good for you! I haven't ever done one because of the swim...if you and I could become one sista we would rock. I would run and you could swim!
Jaim that is seriously so awesome. I want to do something like that! Good work!
Good job Jam!! I want to come Friday so bad. I love the pics of your race and also the ones of your vacation. Glad the boys did well in the car. I love the last one with Jackson's mouth open. Let's play
That is so fun. Eric just finished his first at daybreak on the 22nd too. I am thinking about doing one July 24th. Want to join me?
Wow you are my hero Jam! That is amazing you should be so proud of yourself!!
I missed this post, but Courtney told me you had done this! That's awesome. I just did my first triathlon in May. I loved it! I'm sorry you couldn't do the swim, that was my favorite part actually. You'll just have to keep training for another one now! We should do one together! Congrats! It's the best feeling!
Jamie! That is so awesome for you! I am so proud of you! What a fun accomplishment! If you are interested there is a tri that I want to do in a few weeks on the 25th, but it is at night! It starts at 10 and it is in Springville. Me and Chelsey and possibly Andrea are doing it so if you want to come you should!
Post a Comment