I had so much fun last year doing this Triathlon that I figured I would try it again since the swim was canceled last year. I registered for this back in 2010 so I put off training until the Herriman Rec Center opened up just a few months before. As time got closer the anxiety built hoping this year the swim wouldn't be canceled. Good news, May 21st this year there was NO snow like last year! I was super excited, but more nervous for the swim because that part was still going to be a first for me.
The morning of, I picked up my registration packet, set up my transition area, got all marked up and then headed over to the pool to get started.
We all lined up according to swim times so I stood at the end of the 5:00 minute group. I can usually swim a 300 meter in 5:40, but with the time chips outside the gates my swim time was 6:51. I was super nervous but confident in my swim because I feel like that is my strongest area. Once I was actually in the water I started second guessing my strength. Being in the whole moment is completely different than just practicing. Overall I was satisfied with my swim, even if I did get held up by one swimmer that I couldn't pass for one length of the pool. After finishing the 300 meter swim, we ran to the transition area to dry off, get dressed and grab my bike.
Then it was time to bike 12.4 miles. I have never biked other than last year and that is when the love for biking began. I am no professional on the bike (that's for sure) and I definitely still get scared going fast down hill, but I still managed to finish my bike in 49:28 minutes. Not as fast as I was hoping for, but when you are in the middle of it all you don't really know where your standing in comparison to the other contestants. A huge thanks to our neighbors, Dennis and Tammy Wood, for letting me borrow their bike. Hopefully one day I can get my own!
The last event is the run. I will be honest... I HATE running and I know I am terrible at it. But I guess I love the other 2 so I kind of have to run to finish. Last year we had to run twice, which killed my body, so this year you would think it would be easier for me.... NOPE! I finished 3:00+ minutes slower than last year. I ran this 3.1 miles in 33:10. If only Nikki was running with me like last year. She was the only reason I finished last year under 30 minutes.
Nothing feels better though than crossing that finish line surrounded by friends and loved ones! That's two year in a row I got a little emotional right at the very end.The feeling of self accomplishment is indescribable! Overall my time was 1:34:47. A good 7+ minutes of that was transition time, plus a potty break in between the bike and run. Considering my last year's overall time was 1:35:15, I feel like I maybe did slightly better than last year but its hard to compare without a swim time from last year. I finished 448 out of 739 overall, and 53 out of 89 for my age group. If only I was a better runner! Maybe next time. I am just glad my bosses wife Jenn did it with me again so I at least knew someone. And I am so glad Nate and the boys were there the whole time cheering me on. It always makes such a big difference hearing my boys!
I am so glad I did this triathlon again, but I am so glad it is over too! I am sure I will do another one again just don't know how soon until the next one.





11 comments:
Good for you! I want to do one with you...someday. :) Congrats!
Good job girl! That was fun seeing you the other day out on the road!! Caught me off guard for sure! You have GOT to get a bike. Its so much fun. Maybe we could get out and ride together. I usually put a few girl rides together throughout the summer so let me know if you get one and you can come out and join us. We have lots of fun!!
Congratulations, Jamie! That is so awesome! I really want to do a triathalon some day...I just don't know if I can do the swimming portion, unlike you I am NOT a strong swimmer!
Great Job, Jamie that is so awesome! I have always wanted to try a triathalon, but the swim for me is the rough section. Maybe someday...:)
WOW! Look at you go! You are amazing! That is very impressive.
Good Job! I'm excited to do our triathlon in July. You can come swim for me, I hate that part. That's so awesome Jackson can ride without training wheels. We still need to get Blake a descent bike. Sorry about sweet Andersen's eye, poor guy. I love seeing what you guys are up to.
You are a woman of steel! Good work!! Thanks for getting up to work out with me. I can't force myself to get up anymore if I know you're not going to be waiting for me:)
How fun... I keep wanting to do a Tri but not a fan of the swim. Great Job!!
Good job James! I am so proud of you. You are my hero. Let's run a 5k together sometime. I hate running too but I think with you by my side I could like it.
Jamie, that is wonderful you did the Tri again this year! You look great and I'm glad you had so much fun! How cool to have your boys there cheering you on the whole way. Wish we could have been there too!
Way to Go!! We should do a tri together! I did a few last year and I swear our times are identical. I HATE HATE HATE the run and my last tri they cancelled the swim too so I had to run twice! I hated it. I need to do another one where the swim is part of it!! Anyway, I think it would be fun to do one with a friend. (and not care so much about time, but still push each other) I don't know. Maybe Kokopelli in St. George in September?? Think about it. I will have to start swimming! :) For real though... We should do it!
Post a Comment