Where do I even begin with explaining our Youth Conference experience this year! I don't even know if there are words to describe it, but hopefully through a good summary I will be able to remember and hold on to the feelings that were had over these few days at camp. This years theme was "Our Book of Mormon Journey: A Generation of Promise". As a stake they challenged all youth and leaders to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover, knowing at Youth Conference they would be seeing a handful of these scripture stories come to life through mini-skit productions and activities. We started on Monday July 25th meeting at "Jerusalem" {Stake Center} where we got to see our Stake President act out the scene of Lehi prophesying of the destruction of Jerusalem and commanding that those living there should leave behind all belongings and journey in the wilderness with his family. That is when we packed up into our cars as a "Tribe" and journeyed to our stake property, Beaver Ridge right by Park City. Once we were settled and camp was set up we watched another skit about Nephi and his brothers as the were trying to collect the brass plates from Laban. After that was over we made it back to our camp to find a "Liahona". This Liahona was our guide on where to go and what activity we were doing later that afternoon. The youth spent a few hours rotating through many team building activities.
Later that night our Tribal Leader {Bishop Jenkins} talked to the youth about the Title of Liberty and how important this was to Captain Moroni. After Bishop was done talking to our family, the youth got to decorate their own Title of Liberty for our tribe. Being the Legacy Ranch Ward, our YCL's gave us the tribe name of the Ranchites!
To finish the first night off, we had dinner and then one more combined activity learning about the Iron Rod and Lehi/Nephi's vision of the Tree of Life. The Stake leaders built this incredibly long path out of sprinkler pipe for the youth to hold to as if they were actually holding onto a rod. To add to the effects of people taunting them to let go of the rod on their way to the tree of life, they were blindfolded and the rain showed no signs of stopping. Our youth were covered in garbage sacks but that still didn't prevent them from getting soaked. After all families had made it along the Iron Rod and made their way to the Tree of Life, we met back at the pavilion for some closing thoughts from Brother Sorenson. I will always remember his words he shared because he made those few chapters come to life for me. I won't be able to read those pages again without remembering his thoughts on Nephi's vision and teaching us to take notice of the many times when Heavenly Father tells us to "Look" at different points in our lives.
Day 2, our Liahona directed us to more activities and skits. Some of the rotations consisted of Helaman and the stripling warriors, King Noah, his wicked priests and Abinadi, Ammon and his sheep, and one of my favorite skits with Korihor, the anti-Christ. After lunch, it was free time for the youth and it was time for me to go pick up Nate in Park City so he was up at camp in time for his skits. As soon as he got there Nate needed to do dress rehersals, so I went back with my Tribe as we were called on "missions" to share and receive messages from other families at camp. Funny story that happened during this was when we were visited by another family and they taught us about unity. After their spiritual thought they had us play the human knot game. Well my side of the knot was untangled rather quickly, so as we were all holding hands in a semi-circle waiting for the rest of the knot a conversation was had with a teenage boy next to me. We talked a lot about where he went to school and what his school goals were when he decided to turn the conversation to me. He then proceeded to ask, "so do you go to Herriman High??". I had no clue what to say, but the first things that came to my mind were "oh, you sweet thing, I am married and have 2 kids". The look on his face was priceless! Good thing the knot was almost untied because he was ready to run back to his camp as fast as he could if it wouldn't have been too noticeable.
Later that night it was one of the 2 scenes Nate was in. Nate played a Gadianton Robber during Samuel the Lamanite scene. This also was the beginning or setting up of the scene to come in the morning as camp was coming to a close.
That night the prophesied destruction, thundering, and darkness were acted out and, as youth and leaders, we were told to go back to our camps and wait out the darkness. During our Tribe/family time we talked about 3 Nephi 11 preparing them for the next morning. Our youth were awesome! We had some good conversations around the campfire and then went to bed.
The morning of our last day we were gathered by "believers" telling us to come with them because the darkness had lifted and more prophecies were being fulfilled. This skit was by far the highlight of our Youth Conference and I am lucky to be married to the lead role. Nate got asked to play the role of the Savior a few months before so as a family it was extra special to prepare for this moment. The skit consisted of the story of Christ visiting the Nephites in the Americas during 3 Nephi 11. What an indescribable feeling as Nate appeared to the youth and gradually descended down the mountain side. I still get chills just remembering that moment. I know the youth were overcome with the spirit that was felt during this scene.
It was hard to hold back the tears wondering what it might be like to actually meet the Savior face to face and have him bless you and your little ones.
After this scene, Mormon asked the youth to write and share those things that they know to be true on their very own brass plates just like prophets of old. And to finish the conference Moroni gathered the plates and buried them in a rock to be restored later to the Prophet Joseph Smith {This happened during our fireside a few weeks after we got back from Youth Conference}
This Youth Conference was by far my favorite activity I have ever done as a leader or youth! and I was even more grateful I got to be there with Nate for one of the days. The 7 weeks of watching him grow out his beard and hair was totally worth it after a moment like that. This was just the beginning of many more youth activities I am sure we will be doing together, but it gets me so excited for what is next. I am sad my beehives missed this experience because I know that this experience strengthened the testimonies of the youth that were able to come more than us leaders realize. We had such a fun family/tribe and this was definitely one campout I didn't ever want to leave! Thanks to all those Stake Leaders who sacrificed so much time for all this to be put together. Every aspect to this activity was executed to perfection!









3 comments:
Oh what a wonderful experience for you! I am sitting here crying. Thank you Jamie for sharing this and sharing your testimony - today it helped me more than you'll know. I love you and Nate and the boys. Thank you again!
I have yet to blog this experience because I have been at a loss of words. It was truly a remarkable experience. I feel blessed to have been a part of this. I loved reading about your perspective on the activity.
Hey jamie! Saw your blog link on fb and since we are neighbors, I'm allowed to blog stalk you now. I loved this post!
Post a Comment