Wednesday, September 7, 2011

{Day 5}

Today was another beach day along the North Shore. We stopped at Banzai Pipeline first. We ate lunch and then walked down to the beach to play. It was such a beautiful beach and the sand was amazing. The only bad part was the waves were a little too dangerous for the little munchkins. There was a good wave that came in and swept Jackson right off his feet. The protective mom in me came out and it definitely freaked me out watching him ride the wave back down the shore. It wasn't ideal to pack up everything and trek back to the car to find another parking spot for a beach, but it was definitely worth it for the safety of the kids and the ability to relax a little while they play.
I now understand why they had this sign posted. Too bad I didn't see if before we got comfortable.
After Banzia we drove down to Waimea area again to spend the rest of the time at Waimea Beach. Waves were still coming in and out pretty fast because of the wind today but it definitely was a lot safer than the first spot so we stayed and played. Today was really hot so the kids found the shade under the umbrella to play in the sand and enjoy snacks.
Today also was the day Andersen really started to get comfortable on the beach. He was running and playing all over the place. It was so cute to watch him jump all over Nate while laying out and run up and down the shore chasing Jackson.
The highlight of this beach was the boys opportunity for a local experience. All along the shore you would see a group of guys fishing. They would travel down shore following a school of fish. Jackson was so interested in what these guys were doing and being able to see the fish they were catching that I went with him to watch the fishermen. Supposedly this type of fishing only happens once a year and lasts about a month. These local men were so willing to let Jackson watch and see their fish that they even let him reel in a couple fish once they were hooked. Andersen even got in on the fun! The boys were loving every second of it and it was so fun to see them so happy.
To finish off the day we drove down to the famous Matsumoto's Shave Ice for a cold treat. Luckily the line wasn't too long and we had our shaved ice within a few minutes. Who knows what upset Andersen but the second we got them he freaked out forcing us to leave and enjoy our treat on the run. Eventually he calmed down enough that we could stay around the area to visit a few of the shops. Of course nothing was too intriguing to buy, and personally I wasn't super thrilled by the shaved ice but it definitely helped cool off after a long day in the sun.

1 comments:

Megan said...

I am so glad you guys are having a good time. What a fun vacation. I'm glad you got to Matsumoto's. I love reading all your doing it brings back so many memories. If you like pie you have to go to Ted's on the North Shore and get the Chocolate Haupia (coconut). I don't like pie but this is so good. I can't wait to see more. I hope you do the Dole Plantation too. Fun pictures!! I bet it's fun to have your boys with you. I hope the plane ride home is better.