Monday, October 10, 2011

Summer RECAP

I can't believe summer is already over! It went by way too fast I think. I tried really hard to stay up to date on my blog but no matter how hard I tried there was always something else going on that I couldn't keep up. So rather than go back and try to catch up on every detail, the following is a condensed recap of the summer activities I wanted to write about but never found the time. 
With the new rec center opening up, we spent the first part of summer either here or the splash park letting all the kids wear themselves out before lunch and naps each day. It is so fun to have so many kids in our neighborhood, because there is always someone to play with or something fun going on.
Nana is always good to find time to play with the kids while she is off track, so one of the fun activities we did one day was go down to discovery gateway. I didn't think we were ever going to get these boys away from this place. They had so much fun and you could see their little minds going 100mph just trying to take in all the excitement and new toys to play and discover.
Of course, it wouldn't be a day out with Nana unless they got a prize. These horsies are what both boys really wanted from the gift shop at Discovery Gateway. Jackson has asked multiple times for one of these and now he finally got his horse he has always wanted! I think these two horsies have been the hit of the summer. I can't tell you how many hours Andersen and Jackson have run back and forth through the house yelling "yee-haw horsie!" Months later, you can guarantee this two wooden sticks will still bring laughter and entertainment whenever they are played with.
One of Jackson's favorite things is the tramp! It is always an exciting day when the weather is warm enough to set the tramp up. Early on in the summer we were out playing with the Christensen's and we decided to throw the sprinkler under the tramp and let the boys jump in the water with their clothes on. Eventually the clothes were so wet that the boys were in their diapers and underwear but that didn't phase them one bit. If anything they had more fun jumping naked!
This isn't just a summer activity, but we definitely have done it more this year than any other...  Slurpee runs at 711! Nate and Jackson have their little tradition of stopping for one together, but I couldn't help myself on free Slurpee day! Surprisingly we didn't even have to wait more than 10 minutes in line.
As young women leaders we took the girls that could join us this day boating at Utah Lake. Even though only 3 could come it was perfect and we shared so many laughs. These girls are always a fun time!
We also did a couple campfires up the canyon this summer. Nothing says summer like late nights around the fire roasting hot dogs and marshmallows with good friends and neighbors.
Our ward did a movie night outside on the church grass! They showed Rio that night and handed out popcorn and sno-cones to everyone. Who knows how much of the movie everyone got to see, but the kids loved the idea and that's all the matters, right?
And if we weren't out doing something planned or riding bikes with neighbors, these munchkins were causing trouble inside! They definitely have a love/hate relationship for each other but nothing sounds better than when I hear them laughing and playing together... even if they are causing mischief.
Summertime is never long enough in my opinion! Even though the structure of Jackson's preschool and the sun setting early meaning kids settling down for bed earlier is nice every now and then, nothing beats the summer nights hanging out as a family or with neighbors! Oh summer, I miss you already!

0 comments: