Friday, January 6, 2012

A good start to 2012...

I really shouldn't be jumping ahead because I have about a dozen posts to do from the holidays, but I couldn't resist blogging this one. On Tuesday night Andersen got his first exposure to the after hours insta-care for possible stitches. The boys have been bathing together for years it seems like and every once in awhile Nate or I will have to get after them for being too silly in the tub. Tuesday night was one of those nights, although Jackson was the one reinforcing the rules this time. Andersen was climbing on the edge of the tub and Jacks kept telling him to get down. Rather than Andersen listening and the two of them getting back to their tub party, Jacks took matters into his own hands and swiped Andersen's legs out from underneath him resulting in his chin hitting the edge of the tub. 
You could imagine the worst, with blood and tears all over the place, but Andersen cried for a couple seconds and then went on laughing and giggling like nothing ever happened. So Nate and I didn't think twice about it. Nate bathed the boys and minutes later I was getting them dressed. It wasn't until I was putting lotion on Andersen's shoulders and face that he started complaining, but still no signs of it being his chin, since he tends to whine over everything lately. Next, I laid him down to put his diaper on and that is when I noticed a red gash in his chin. Instantly I knew we needed to take him in, but I called Nate in the room to confirm the decision. This is what it looked like right before the nurses and doctor took over. 
First thing they did was numb him up. Man did the boys get spoiled. I think they both had 2 or 3 suckers and a Popsicle each to pass the time as we waited out the 30 minutes for the numbing medication to kick in.
 About 20 minutes after waiting we were brought back into the procedure room still not knowing what they were going to do to fix his split chin. Our uneducated opinion was hoping the glue was going to do the trick, but still knowing stitches were a possibility. After getting him relaxed by watching movies on Nate's tablet, it was time to clean it out. That is where the battle began. The nurse brought out a towel and a huge syringe of water to start cleaning and Nate and I were in charge of holding him down. Next was the Dr's turn. Since she hadn't seen the cut yet, she quickly observed and suggested we try the glue in hopes that is all he needed. A good 5 minute wrestling match with me holding him in my lap back down, Nate holding his legs, and the nurse holding is head and cocking it back enough for the Dr. to apply the glue, Andersen's chin was closed up and we were on our way back home with more suckers and stickers this time.
The doctor was confident the glue would hold up and help it heal, but encouraged us to go to Primaries and sedate him if it was to re-open because of the trauma and battle it would cause to hold him still for stitches. His gash was probably only 1/2inch long but it just had that mushy look to it and had the fatty tissue layer coming out so it definitely needed some professional help to allow it to heal properly.
 The whole way home, when asked, Andersen would tell us "I'm ok, I'm ok!" Although he fought us like crazy he was pretty dang brave and didn't have too many tears through it all. Nate and I felt terrible for Andersen because of the force we had to use to pin him down to glue him, but it was Jacks that lived with the guilt for awhile. Jacks kept saying "It's all my fault Mom, I am sorry I hurt brother". In a way, it was good to see Jacks have remorse for his actions but to be miserable about it and worry the whole time until he knew Andersen was ok, was heartbreaking for me to watch. Although it definitely helped me see the love that the two of them have for each other! For the rest of the night Andersen could have gotten whatever he wanted out of all of us, including Jacks. Jackson let Andersen pick and do whatever he wanted. And before you knew it they were back to being their silly wild selves, just the way we like it. Not the ideal way to start out the new year, but I guess you got to start on the new deductible sometime!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh, poor little guy! That last picture of the two of them is so dang cute. Hope your 2012 gets better!!!

Bailey Family said...

Oh thats such a bummer! poor kid! I remember when I split my chin open and had to get stiches, no fun. He looked like a brave little boy. Sounds like a not so fun adventure but i hate to think about it but all of us with Boys will probably have more to come :). Glad it wasnt too tramatic but that is cute Jackson being such a good brother.

Alison said...

Oh the fun huh? It was a crazy week that we both got to visit the instacare for cuts this week. Your boys are such cute brothers. You can tell they love each other lots!!