Sunday, September 1, 2013

Learning the Hard Way

This was a day I hope Andersen will never forget! One night I had to take a quick trip to Walmart to get a couple of things. I had all the kids in tow and was trying to get in and out real fast. Just minutes after being there I went through the self check out and started my exit out of the store. As I was walking fast out of the store, I noticed the boys were lagging behind, so I yelled to them to hurry it up. Andersen being obedient to my request starts skipping out of the store only to allow me to hear something clinky in his pocket. At this point I am in the parking lot asking to see what's in his pockets. He denies there is anything in there at first and then as I go to check for myself he pulls out this container of tic tacs... that have already been open!! AHH, the last thing I needed when I was in hurry. I knew I could have easily packed the kids in the car and drove off with no one knowing that even happened, but I knew I wouldn't teach Andersen anything from it other than it was totally ok to do. So I loaded up the groceries in the car and lugged the kids back into the store to the customer service desk to pay for the tic tacs my son had just stolen. Thank goodness for a smart employee who gave Andersen the business (the nice version, just enough for a 3 year old to learn) and how naughty it is to steal. Even though we had to pay for them, Andersen knew he wasn't getting those tic tacs anymore and you could tell he felt a little remorse for his actions. I know he is young but it starts somewhere, so I just hope the lesson was taught now when there isn't any hard consequences other than Mom and Dad being disappointed and the tic tacs being taken away. Rather than anyone eating these or just throwing them away I have kept them just the way we bought them... I am sure it will come in handy for some object lesson one day!

0 comments: