Friday, August 20, 2010

Miss Kim's Swim School

At the beginning of summer I called multiple places to find out details on swimming lessons. Much to my surprise not a lot of people offered classes to 3 year olds for a good price! Luckily my neighbor told me about a place really close by. After a couple months of deciding if and when she would do a class, out of the blue I get a email saying she'd do a 3 year old class! I was so excited and luckily Jackson's neighbor friends wanted to do it as well. The class was schedule for a Monday- Friday 9-9:40. I was really nervous because I know Jackson has such a fear of water right now, but he couldn't have been better or more excited. Here he is all dressed for his first day of swimming lessons.
The kids did so well listening to Miss Kim teach them what they were going to do next.Some of the things Miss Kim taught Jackson was to float on his back.
And my favorite part to watch was when Miss Kim taught them a swimming stroke they could do on their backs. She would have them stand on the stairs and practice their arms before it was their turn to try it in the water.
We'll have to work on straighter arms for Jackson's airplane.

With me still working it got kind of crazy juggling swimming lessons, but thanks to awesome neighbors and Nana Rothe for taking him on a couple of days. I was so glad I at least got to watch a couple of the days so I could see this cute smile.
Nate even got to watch the last day of class to see him be so brave and show off all he learned! Miss Kim let the kids do a free swim the last few minutes of class and offered life jackets to the kiddos. Jackson was even brave enough to go off the diving board. He only did it once, but later I found out that he hit his knee on the board when he fell/jumped into the water.
You couldn't tell at the time he jumped that is what happened because he just kept swimming to Miss Kim like nothing was wrong. Later when going through pictures and video you can totally see him hit the board... no wonder why he wasn't about to do it again.
Overall, it was such a fun class for the kiddos! Jackson has some of the greatest friends and hopefully he can remember some of these skills for next year. I was so proud of him because he never once cried like he usually does when we take him swimming and was so brave to try all that Miss Kim asked of them. Here is all the kiddos on the last day at the end of class (we are missing Landon because they went to Lake Powell) Tyson, Sadie, Ayden, and Jackson!
Thanks Miss Kim for a fun week!

7 comments:

~Conradis~ said...

Heck ya! I love it when they get confidence in something they feared! I want to sign up with Miss Kim, she sounds great!

On top of that, I read your other comment about the 5 year anniversary, I totally remember going to your wedding down at Thanksgiving Point and your beautiful dress, you looked like you 2 stepped out of a magazine. I was glad we made it back from out honeymoon in time to come to your reception! Congrats on 5 years to you guys soon, I am sure you will post something, it's such a big milestone! We need to get together!

Lindsay said...

Woo-hoo...Go Jackson! That's awesome that he's so fearless! Looks like a blast! Good for him!

John and Nicole Makoni said...

Looks like you guys have had a fun and busy summer. You do such a good job with your blog keeping up on all the memories and little moments. Your boys are growing up so fast! (Also thank you for your condolences)

Megan said...

So fun. That's great he wasn't too scared and he did so well. I learned that same stroke but mine was monkey, airplane, soldier.

Charley said...

Way to go Jackson! I wanted to put Gage in swimming lessons this year, but we've just been too busy! Hopefully, now that our yard is finished, we can do fun stuff like that with Gage and Carter next year!

Jonathan and Kiri said...

How fun! I remember teaching swim lessons and this was my favorite age! The kids are so cute when they get in the water and just like your adorable Jackson, they just have so much enthusiasm for what they are learning. I honestly laughed so hard at the picture of his airplane arms! Oh that's so cute!

It was so great seeing you at Cafe Rio! Jackson's just as cute in person - gosh I love that hair!

Lindsay said...

Jamie, you are awesome. Thank you SO much for your sweet comment on my blog. Really, it made me feel so much better. I'm glad to hear that 2 isn't that much more work...and it makes sense - once you've committed to parenting one child, you're doing all the work anyway. My mom keeps saying that 2 kids was easier for her because we had each other to play with and distract each other. So anyway...lots to think about it. But I think you're right, it's pretty amazing how much power Heavenly Father gives us...he really does have lots of confidence in us. So thank you, I really appreciate your help! Thanks Jamie!