Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Day of Thanks

I can't believe Thanksgiving Day has already come and gone. Man this year has just flown right by. The last 3 years in a row we have spent Thanksgiving with my family either in Colorado or Minnesota so this year it was nice to not have to travel very far and spend the holiday with Nate's family. To start the day off me, Tina and Nate's cousin Aly did the Turkey Trot in Bountiful. Even though the race started at 9:00 am it was still only 7 degrees outside. As we were standing at the starting line I was thinking these 2 ladies were crazy for getting me into this mess.
Even a mile or so into it I was still wishing I was already done running but it didn't take too long for my body to warm up, especially with my head sock on. 
3 Miles later we were greeted at the finish line with our families and the Turkey.

Even though I was miserable as the runner I am sure it was worse for my boys as they so willing waited around for us to finish. A big thanks to Nate for driving us up there and hanging out for a couple hours with the boys in the cold weather while us girls got our registration packets, waited for the race to start, and then finally finished running. Thank goodness for warm hats and coats! (and a binky and blanket for Andersen- he doesn't go very far without them)
 After the race we made the drive home, took a long hot shower and back on the road to Nana's we went for Thanksgiving dinner. Jackson was crashed before he even had a piece of Turkey. He tried so hard to stay awake but the car ride put him fast asleep while Andersen was just along for the ride like always.

We spent a few hours before helping prepare dinner and watching Chase cook the bird. He does a delicious deep fried turkey.
After our yummy dinner and a short tryptophan nap we visited for an hour or so with my aunts, uncles and cousins at my Grandma's house across the street. It was definitely different this year without having Grandpa around to clean up the dishes and make sure the wish bone gets carved out of the turkey for one of the grandkids but I was grateful Grandma wasn't spending the day alone and was surrounded by family. Once we were done visiting at Grandma's, back to Nana's we went to play a game of electronic Monopoly (what took them so long to come up with this- so much easier!) and yummy dessert. Many laughs later and one big tantrum from Andersen over taking away his Cheetos we called it a night.

Even though this holiday always seems to be centered around food, it still is always a good day for remembering all those things we are grateful for... and man do I have so much to be thankful for! This year I am especially grateful for family. Seems like no matter what happens in life family is always there to pick up the pieces. A HUGE thank you to all my family members for always being there for us this year, we couldn't have done it all without you.

1 comments:

~Conradis~ said...

Looks like fun out in that freezing cold weather... NOT!!!! You are a Trooper!!!