Friday, January 28, 2011

Table's Long Nap

Last Saturday was a rough day for Jackson. It all started with us cleaning out Table's (aka... Jackson's fish) fish bowl on Friday. Jackson and I cleaned it all out and filled the water back up and he was good to go... or at least we thought so. Saturday morning comes around and we did the usual morning feeding of some fish flakes. I took notice of Table's busy behavior but didn't think twice about it and carried on with my Saturday morning.  A few hours later I came back into the kitchen to see Table had jumped ship! He was laying on the floor helplessly when I found him and the first thing I did was yell for Nate. Of course Jackson came running too and saw Table out of the water before Nate and I had a chance to decide what to do or say. Jackson was instantly devastated thinking that his fish was dead. In a moment like that you don't know what to say so  the first thing that Nate came up with was, "Jacks what if Table is just taking a nap?". Nate encouraged Jackson to take a nap himself and by the time he had woken up from his nap, Table probably would be too. So back into the bowl Table went to finish his long nap. It took some time for Jackson to take a nap but once he finally did, Nate made a quick stop at the store to purchase Table #2 and make the switch. Not only did Nate buy 1 new gold fish he bought a little baby fish too. Jackson may only be 3, but he definitely is smart enough to know extra fish just don't appear in to fish bowls. We are hoping one day Jackson will forgive us, but the story that was told, and he totally believes, is that Table was taking a nap because he was going to have a baby. When Jackson saw Table (#2) swimming and another baby fish in the bowl he was a happy little boy again. He did have a few questions on how Table had a baby but we dodged those pretty well and the story lives on. One day he will read this, so when he does here is my SORRY just in case I am not around when the news is broken.
My conclusion to how Table made his escape was that Jackson and I filled his bowl too full Friday night and by Table's behavior on Saturday, he knew it was his day to make the leap! If only Table was smart enough to know he wasn't jumping to a bigger bowl. But obviously Table wasn't that smart and now we have a new "Table" and his little baby "Minion". And from now on, the water level won't be filled that high ever again. 
SO SORRY JACKSON! RIP Table #1

5 comments:

Christiansen's said...

Jamie that is SO funny. First of all I love that his name is Table to begin with. I love that Jackson!

Andrew and Carly Child said...

I laughed out loud when I read this story! So so funny.

Bossy said...

What a fun story. We had a betta jump ship once or twice. The first time we went to flush him and surprise he started swimming around. That is when we found out that bettas actually hop between small ponds in their native Asian countries. Not only that but because they breathe air when they are shipped to the US they are kept between moist paper towels and not packed into individual pools.

Alison said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog, it made me laugh out loud. So...Scott said that minion joined table #1. I'm sorry to hear that, and I'm anxious to hear the story you and Nate came up to cover that one:)

Megan said...

That's hilarious. Hopefully in the future he won't be upset, I bet he'll laugh. Table and mini Table, we'll have to come meet them.