Friday, March 11, 2011

Counting my blessings...

It was Thursday evening of March 3rd that I got a message from my mom telling me my dad just survived a pulmonary embolism and was in the hospital. I instantly had a reality check and was counting my blessings that my Dad was still around. I was in shock thinking he had such a close call with death, but happy that he listened to his body and reacted accordingly so he could receive the necessary medical attention. My dad was in the hospital until Saturday doing multiple chest x-rays, multiple blood draws for testing and inhaling extra oxygen to compensate for the lack of oxygen from the blood clots. After much thought of what I should do for a visit, I decided to go out Sunday morning. I knew I would have the kids and the added volume could interfere with him being able to relax, but I all I wanted to do was see him in person rather than hear updates over the phone. He spent most of our visit there laying in bed, but it didn't matter to me and the boys because it was just nice to be there and know he was ok. While we were visiting my parents we got to briefly celebrate my Mom's birthday as well. 2 days later I was back on the road to come home but I was happy to see my dad improving in strength and spirit. Never has a visit to Colorado been more meaningful because after being that close to losing my Dad I was grateful I got the opportunity to give him a hug and let him know how much my family and I loved him. I would be one sad and lost little girl had I lost my Dad last week.
A week later, test results are in and my dad will be on coumadin for life due to a blood disorder. He has an abundance of factor VIII meaning his blood clots too much and if he doesn't make the blood thinner through medication he could be in a repeat situation. Thank goodness this was only a scare and not the real thing because now he knows what he needs to do. I couldn't imagine losing him and never knowing what caused this all. We love you Dad and I am hoping we have many more years to tell you that. Thanks for being such a great Dad and Grandpa!

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Oh my gosh, that's so scary! I'm so sorry. I hope all goes well with his health.

THE HILSABECKS said...

Oh wow! So glad he is ok!

Aly said...

Ew, that's so scary! I'm so thankful for modern medicine! I hope you're doing ok!!