Monday, November 7, 2011

The Halloween that never ends...

I think this was the longest Halloween ever! We have had costumes picked out for months now and it was a constant battle with Andersen to not wear it until Halloween. Jackson originally wanted to be Russell, the wilderness explorer, from the movie Up, until he found out his buddy Landon was being Bumble Bee Transformer and he wanted to be a Transformer as well. Luckily we already had Optimus Prime so Halloween costumes were easy this year. Andersen got to wear his costume for his birthday invites but other than that it has been hanging in his closet just tempting him everyday. Finally the time had come to officially wear the costumes for Halloween related events and I think they didn't take them off for 4 days straight! I am thinking they are pretty dang cute all dressed up. 
The first activity was the Friday before Halloween for our ward's play group. All the kids got to frost Halloween cookies and play in their costumes. I think our ward has some of the cutest kids EVER!
Saturday night we were invited to a Halloween party at the Eddleman's. What a fun night of food and games for the kids. Nikki had her basement set up for the kids to play all sorts of games for candy and prizes! The vampire teeth definitely were the favorite prize and I think every kid tried to put them in their mouth. They looked so cute!
Sunday night was the trip to Nana's house. We usually go over for dinner on Sundays but Nana had pumpkins and Halloween surprises as an added bonus. This is where the candy overload all started! Nana gave them some new books and each a bucket of candy. We even got a smile visit from Grammy! She is in love with Milly so she drove all the way from Bountiful to see her.

The actual day of Halloween, we started early with Jackson's preschool parade. All the kids were asked to wear their costumes and the parents got to come listen to them sing Halloween songs as they made stops around the school to trick or treat for more candy.
Later that afternoon we went trick or treating at Nate's work or should I say "Dorthy's" work. I knew Nate's department was dressing up to the "Tangled" theme but I had no idea I would see this when I got to the office. Nate wasn't going to dress up until he realized he was the only one without a costume so he made a quick trip to the Halloween store shortly before the party. With the EVP of his department dressing up as Rapunzel, and others dressing up as the main characters from the movie, that left the salesman wearing "Swiss Miss" costumes. So "Dorthy" was the closest thing to the theme that Nate, being not your average female height of 6'5", could find the day of Halloween!
Kind of disturbing for the boys to see Nate like that, but that didn't last long because they were quickly distracted by all the candy that was everywhere! After an hour of trick or treating, we went home only to have both boys crash in the car!
Later that night after dinner, Nate went our for more candy with the Scott and boys. Last year Alison and I took the boys, so this year it was the Dad's turn. Rather than stay home by myself to pass out candy, we left a note on our door and took our candy down to the Christensen's so I could visit with Alison and love on Tessa while the boys were out.
These boys had so much fun! They must have trick or treated for almost 2 hours! Nate said Jackson was definitely a veteran to this trick-or-treating stuff, but Andersen also carried his own. Andersen wouldn't let Nate carry him at all and by the end of the night he had to carry his overflowing bucket of candy with two hands between his legs!

Now totaling 3 buckets of candy each, we definitely had WAY too candy and the boys were just starting the candy coma that we've been in for days now!
I wish I could have seen all their cute smiles and laughs as they ran from house to house, but hanging out with this cute melon and her mom all night was fun too!
Andersen still to this day will ask "Go get more candy?" like he thinks we get to go trick or treating any day of the year. We also battle the regular question of "I was candy!" starting at 8am and not stopping until he is asleep for the night. Even though I am so sick of the candy fight, Halloween is always a fun way to start off the Holidays even if Halloween this year felt like it was never going to end!

1 comments:

Megan said...

Super cute puppy and cool Optimus Prime. Blake was Bumblebee too, but our costume wasn't that cool. I laughed so hard at cute Nate in his Dorothy costume, that's hilarious. I bet your boys were a little confused. Looks like you guys had tons of fun, candy, and parties. I love Halloween. Let's get together sometime soon.