Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A New Addition to our Family

For those that read my last post about Nate's birthday being celebrated all week long, I left out a little detail that we celebrated as well while in Vegas...  
WE ARE EXPECTING #3!
The story starts with me already thinking I was pregnant before we were leaving town. So I made sure to pack a pregnancy test and a little present to surprise him with just in case. I thought it would be perfect to surprise Nate with the news on his 30th birthday. While the hubbies were in conference meetings all day, Jill (my neighbor and Nate's boss's wife) and I went on a shopping spree. It was probably only 2 hours into shopping that I started the hot/cold flashes and I needed some food!! I didn't think I would be feeling symptoms so early just because I thought I couldn't take a test for another week or so. But the whole day I just kept telling myself... "I really think I am pregnant!" I shared a few things with Jill and she agreed that I was probably prego too. Long story short, we made it through our day of shopping and back to the hotel room to relax for a few minutes before our husbands got done and time for dinner. Knowing I had two tests with me, I figured I would try one just for curiosity. I peed on the stick and watched it for a minute and nothing happened other than the "C" line. So I went on with my business in the room and did a few things for a few minutes to pass some time. I then walked back over to the bathroom to look at the test again, because even though the other line didn't show up right away I KNEW I was pregnant even if the test couldn't confirm it yet. To my surprise it just needed a few more minutes, because when I went back to look at it again there it was... A faint second line!! I never know how to react when the test is actually positive so I think I was just in shock but glad I knew my body enough to realize I was pregnant.
 
I knew Nate would be on overload from his meetings and in a hurry to get back down to the team dinner so I tucked the tests away (I peed on another one just to make sure! and totally lied to Jill telling her the test was negative) and pretended like nothing happened other than a long fun day of shopping with Jill! We spent a few hours at dinner and then later met up with my brother in law at a sports bar to visit and catch up. It was probably around 11 when we made it back to the hotel room. I knew Nate had to do some work so I didn't want to distract him so I kept it a secret for a few more hours. It had to be around 1am-ish that I finally said, "Do you want a early birthday surprise?" Of course he wasn't going to reject that question so I pulled this box out of the night stand by our bed. His first reaction was "What are the eggs for?" but then once I showed him the lid he knew exactly what I was telling him! You can fill in the story of excitement, hugs, kisses, etc
 
From there is was weeks of keeping it secret! Usually we tell real quick and its out in the open by 5 or 6 weeks, but this time Nate wanted to wait. I was instantly super sick and puking every day so I knew I couldn't wait too long to tell, because I was miserable and I hated lying to everyone. But I toughed it out until 8 or 9 weeks and we started telling family and close friends. Its always an awkward phone call, so rather than spending all the time on the phone I made this announcement and mailed it out. Definitely fun waiting for everyone's reaction once they got it in the mail!
 
Well last week I was 10 weeks and we had our first baby appointment. I was really anxious for this one just because it has been such a different pregnancy than the two boys, but I was quickly relieved by hearing the heartbeat. I can't remember seeing too much detail in the boys ultrasounds but this one you could see little arms and legs kicking like crazy. We brought the boys so they could see the ultrasound as well and when the doctor was showing us the legs and arms waving around Jackson instantly could see it! It was so fun to have them there and it definitely helped the boys visualize what is going on.
 
 My due date is September 28th. After the ultrasound we are already measuring a week ahead. I told Dr. England that I am mentally going to plan on September 28th though rather than a week earlier because I am 2 for 2 in big babies and both not coming early. 
We already get asked the question of whether we want a boy or girl... and to be honest this is the first time I really don't care what gender we get. Our family only knows boys so another boy would be easy, but a little girl would be lots of fun too. Jackson and Andersen on the other hand have very distinct opinions already. Jacks wants a little sister. He said "if its a little brother I would be a little excited, but if it is a little sister I am going to be so excited!". Andersen is strongly against having a little sister. He wants a little "brudher" for sure! I guess a few more weeks and we can take a little sneak peek to find out. I just hope this nausea feeling passes soon and I can get my appetite and energy back.
Thanks to all our friends and family that have already showered us with love and support! It definitely lightens the load sharing the excitement and challenges of pregnancy with those we love. Now if someone could just speed up the next 29 weeks that would be even better.
Let the countdown begin!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Jamie!! I loved reading the story of how you told your husband! That is something I can't wait for!...one day...

Kim said...

So so fun! Congrats to you guys. 3 kids is great. We need to get together next time we're in UT! I hope you get feeling better soon.

Robyn Grable said...

Congratulations Nate and Jamie! We are excited for you - and yeah, our families only know boys. What would we ever do with a girl??? Only, girls would be nice. Hope you feel better soon! Love, Robyn

Megan said...

Congrats Jam. I'm jealous. I hope you are feeling better. I'll call you to see you on Saturday. What a fun 30th b-day for Nate.

abbyjane said...

our babies will be exactly a year apart! how funny. i was due september 29 and had previously delivered early everytime with little 6lb'ers. this time i was a week over due and got my "big" seven pound baby.

congratulations! i am so excited for you!

Lindsay said...

Oh my gosh! CONGRATULATIONS!!! That's so exciting! My dad's birthday is September 28th...it's a great month! I'm so happy for you guys, congrats!!! Hope all is well!

FidFam said...

Congrats!

Andrea said...

Congrats Jamie! Excited for your little family!

Stacey said...

It sounds alot like our story! That was Eric's 30th bday present too. We also waited till about 9 weeks to tell people and was really sick. I just hope that rest of your pregnancy is better than mine!

Congrats I am so excited for you guys.