Thursday, April 12, 2012

Look who is wearing GLASSES!

I can't believe my little boy got his first pair of glasses today! I am totally skipping ahead of a dozen posts but I didn't want to forget some of the fun things Jackson said as he viewed a new world today. I think he looks so handsome and grown up with his new specks!
It all started with Jackson's 5 year old doctor check up. We were at Dr. Boud's office doing what we thought was just your typical check up, but along with his Kindergarten shots he had a quick eye exam. It wasn't anything really thorough but he still clearly FAILED it! The doctor recommended we schedule an eye exam just to make sure he just didn't understand what we were trying to do. 
Just a week later we were at his official eye exam. They started with the typical eye scans, a few tests from the assistant and some dilation drops, followed by the eye exam by the doctor. The first question Dr. Broadhead asked was "what brought you in today?" I responded with his family doctor thought his vision was 20/200 so they recommended we get it checked. Sure enough, Jackson was already showing 20/200 just from the nurses quick tests.
Dr. Broadhead already knew we were going to need some glasses so after he did a few doctor things, he added 2 more intense dilation drops to each eye. This was to get a better scan of his eye so the doc could get a more accurate prescription just by looking at his eye.
While we were passing the 20 minute wait for the dilation drops to be in full effect we went to check out frames. After trying on probably every pair, we kept going back to these ones and I think Jacks did a pretty good job picking out his own glasses. Once his eyes were dilated more, the doc had Jacks look through a few different lenses to fine tune the prescription he got from his new eye scan. Only 2 hours later were we finally done! Poor Jacks didn't understand why we couldn't take the glasses with us right then. I had to explain that they needed to send the frames he just picked out and add the prescription lens to them so he could actual see with his new glasses. They told us the wait time is usually a week so Jacks started the 7 sleeps count down! He was really patient but you could tell he was super excited for them.
Today, about noon, is when we got the phone call that his glasses were in! Of course we drove right over to pick them up. When I told him his glasses were in and we were going to pick them up, he got even more excited and the first thing he said was "I love you Mom!" Jackson's first comments once he got to try them on were... "It's not foggy anymore!" (Talk about a mommy moment) I felt so bad that my child has seen nothing but fussy vision for the past 5 years. Granted he didn't know any different until this past week, but it breaks my heart knowing how much he has missed. Had Dr. Boud not done that test who knows when we would have found out he needed glasses because Jacks showed no signs of needing them. He is smarter than your average cookie plus he can hit a baseball like its nothing! Not even signs of squinting. Luckily Jackson can see such a drastic change in wearing glasses that he LOVES his glasses. I don't see it being a problem of us telling him to put on his glasses. He just does it. It has been fun to watch him all day take care of them and take them in and out of his case so carefully. He even asked me to wash them already since they educated us on the best way to do so. It also has been fun to watch him soak in a whole new world that he has never seen before. He is noticing so many details around him and he has been a lot slower going places because he is taking in all the "new" around him. We were driving out of the neighborhood just tonight and he said "we have mountains!" I honestly can't imagine what he must be thinking with such a life changing thing. I just hope the excitement continues because it is going to be a lifetime (until lasik like his Dad) of vision coverage and constantly getting new glasses unless he magically grows out of his 20/200 with a mixed astigmatism prescription.

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I know how you feel! Except we took Skyler to the eye doctor starting at age 4 and were told she was fine. When she was 9 we were at her pediatricians office and he said she was over 100 in one eye and her vision was great in the other! She now has glasses and likes them, but can't wait for contacts!

Megan said...

How sweet. That makes me feel bad too, not knowing he couldnt see things clearly. He looks so cute. What a great experience.