It feels like it is never a dull moment with these two rowdy boys of mine! and Thursday was no exception. Earlier in the day I had my 38 week appointment where I got another week of bummer news that my body is doing NOTHING to work towards delivery day. Luckily my old neighbor Connie was bringing us dinner and man was it perfect timing because it helped cheer me up and distract me from my "poor me" mood I was in. We chatted for a good hour until she went home and then me and the boys enjoyed our yummy dinner while Nate took off for scouts round table. It wasn't even an hour after Connie left, us eating dinner, cleaning up dishes, when I heard the boys running around the kitchen only to have Andersen start screaming. I was walking into the kitchen right as he hit the corner of the table. Andersen instantly starting screaming and came towards me. All I saw was this huge gash on his head that was SQUIRTING blood all over him and the floor. All I could do was grab whatever was closest to me and cover it up. Jacks being the good brother he is instantly knew something was wrong and knew this was more than just a little scratch. As I was holding a dish rag to Andersen's head I had Jacks go grab all our shoes and we quickly jumped in the car to drive over to the instacare. Andersen cried for Nate the entire way, so luckily he had his phone close to him during his meeting because he was able to quickly meet us over there.
They quickly got us checked in and back to the procedure room. Andersen was a little nervous and anxious for it all but was pretty dang brave! They started with the numbing stuff on his head for 25 minutes. After the initial taping and having Nate there to cuddle with he was able to settle down and we started seeing a couple smiles. Next was the cleaning process and once again the tears and screaming were in full force. This time I think it was the cold water running off his forehead into his ear that was scaring him. But as soon as the nurse was done doing that, she got him a popsicle and we were back to a few smiles. Then it was game time! After two doctors opinions on whether we should do glue or stitches, stitches were agreed on and it was time to wrap Andersen up to help him hold still. I think it was the only time through this all that we actually got a laugh out of him. We called him a little "burrito baby", because he loves burritos, and he obviously was a little proud of it. The last step was the actual stitches now that he was all prepped. Andersen instantly was screaming and Jacks had a hard time watching him be so uncomfortable that me and him walked out of the room while Nate stayed by Andersen's side as the Doc did his thing. We were out in the hall for what felt like FOREVER until I heard Andersen screaming for "mommy" that I went back in to watch the Dr finish that last couple knots to his last stitch. Good thing they had turned on Thomas the Train earlier for Andersen to watch because it was a good distraction for Jacks so he didn't have to watch Andersen.
2 hours from start to finish we were walking out of the the hospital with treats, stickers, the squirt gun they cleaned out his wound with and 2 stitches! Andersen was pretty proud of himself as we kept telling him how brave he was. We got in the car and it was all smiles again like nothing ever happened. A few days later he has continued to be just as brave. He only complained about his head once and that was the following morning, but after some medicine we haven't heard a complaint since. 3 more days of the stitches and we will make another visit back to the instacare to get the stitches removed.
I am hoping now that we have experienced staples, glue, and now stitches between the 2 boys we have taken our share of injuries but knowing how boys work I am sure this is just the beginning. For what could have been worse, I feel like overall Andersen was amazingly tough and we couldn't have had a better doctor. Andersen still to this day says "my buddy?" when we are talking about the doctor. Thanks Dr. Whipple! Let's just hope he has some good "sewing" skills and this one doesn't leave a mark.


3 comments:
Poor little guy! What a trooper, though!
Oh Jamie poor little guy! I'm sorry you had a bad day on Thursday. This little girl will be here before you know it! I can't wait to meet her. I loved the prego pics you posted. You are looking as beautiful as ever! You are so close James! Just relax and enjoy these last few days before you have a newborn to take care of! Love you!
Boys will be boys, that sounds like our house. No broken bones yet. I love all your new posts. The next one will be missy. I love all your pics of the pregnancy progression, you look so cute. Good luck!
Post a Comment